Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Typewriter

Yesterday I was made aware that the poem in my sidebar was not readable to all browsers/screens, so I changed the picture of it to pure text. I really hope you all get to read it now - it is a wonderful poem.

But with the .jpg gone, I need to tell this part of the story in words: How the poem arrived in the blog.

William Carlos Williams was not among my favourite writers in school. Even if his Red Wheel Barrow has appeared in two of my University exams, I had never read the typewriter poem before setting up the blog and doing an image-google on "typewriter" for a decorative element.

Poems are rare finds when searching images, and curiosity made me enlarge the image. I immediately recognized the poet, and the poem took place embedded in my work. Letting the typewriter - or rather the computer - think for me is a great method to get past a writer's block. And the connection between the cognitive and the physical is the central mystery of my thesis.

No comments: